Shelby Cobra wheel center caps - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Shelby Cobra wheel center caps

This is a discussion on Shelby Cobra wheel center caps within the Mustang GT350 Appearance forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; So I was taking my wheels off to clean them and the brakes, and when I got to my 4th wheel I'm like "damn, what ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Shelby Cobra wheel center caps

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ooops..

So I was taking my wheels off to clean them and the brakes, and when I got to my 4th wheel I'm like "damn, what happened here?"
    Guess the glue isn't rated for 150mph

fortunately I keep a spare set in the trunk

quick fix. good thing I was already taking the wheels off anyway

If this happens again I'm going to consider taking them apart and applying with an industrial adhesive
    2017 GT350 - Shadow Black / White Stripes

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer172 View Post
    So I was taking my wheels off to clean them and the brakes, and when I got to my 4th wheel I'm like "damn, what happened here?"
    Guess the glue isn't rated for 150mph

fortunately I keep a spare set in the trunk

quick fix. good thing I was already taking the wheels off anyway

If this happens again I'm going to consider taking them apart and applying with an industrial adhesive
    Funny, same thing happened to me at my track day. 130 mph was a no go, lucky I had a second set too, wasn’t going to go out and look for it on the track...
    racer172 likes this.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wish I had seen this thread, before I started my own: Cobra Wheel Caps

Just to clear up some confusion (I was confused initially) people are talking about at least 3 different wheel caps.

These come with a Ford part number, in a Ford part bag and the snake does not have scale details along the entire length of its body:

Name:  cobra caps.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  20.0 KB

These do not come with a Ford part number and the snake has scales along the entire length of its body:

Name:  m2uYHFch.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  227.1 KB

Lastly, these are similar to the above with the 'proper' snake but do not have a Ford part number and the back of the wheel cap has a silver/metal finish, where the 'official' Cobra cap has a dull gray plastic finish:

Name:  8E983DA0-4A0C-48A4-93D4-B0A4E2BA012F.png
Views: 278
Size:  2.31 MB

So, best I can figure, the OP who hasn't reported back as far as I can tell, was looking at the 'official' wheel caps, while most of the conversation has been focused on the second set of wheel caps that keep falling off.

I ended up getting the first set with the Ford part number and they did not quite fit, they were too loose. The seller was very nice and gave me a full refund and something about the caps must have come from a bad batch as he had other similar complaints recently.
    I then went to an official Ford parts dealer and they could not find the part number:

6M21-1003-AA

The dealer did say that that could just mean that Ford doesn’t make the part anymore. I assumed that these came from an older generation Cobra, since the S550 Shelby's all have the Ford wheel caps. Maybe the old wheel caps don't fit?

Long story short, I still want the wheel caps, but don’t want to deal with the hassle of the covers falling off or getting another set of the ‘official’ ones only to find out they still don’t fit.

Has anyone else found the ‘official’ wheel caps somewhere other than eBay? Does anyone have any experience with the ‘official’ wheel caps (not falling off)?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Stratickus; 02-22-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    J1397

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratickus View Post
    I wish I had seen this thread, before I started my own: Cobra Wheel Caps

Just to clear up some confusion (I was confused initially) people are talking about at least 3 different wheel caps.

These come with a Ford part number, in a Ford part bag and the snake does not have scale details along the entire length of its body:

Name:  cobra caps.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  20.0 KB

These do not come with a Ford part number and the snake has scales along the entire length of its body:

Name:  m2uYHFch.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  227.1 KB

Lastly, these are similar to the above with the 'proper' snake but do not have a Ford part number and the back of the wheel cap has a silver/metal finish, where the 'official' Cobra cap has a dull gray plastic finish:

Name:  8E983DA0-4A0C-48A4-93D4-B0A4E2BA012F.png
Views: 278
Size:  2.31 MB

So, best I can figure, the OP who hasn't reported back as far as I can tell, was looking at the 'official' wheel caps, while most of the conversation has been focused on the second set of wheel caps that keep falling off.

I ended up getting the first set with the Ford part number and they did not quite fit, they were too loose. The seller was very nice and gave me a full refund and something about the caps must have come from a bad batch as he had other similar complaints recently.
    I then went to an official Ford parts dealer and they could not find the part number:

6M21-1003-AA

The dealer did say that that could just mean that Ford doesn’t make the part anymore. I assumed that these came from an older generation Cobra, since the S550 Shelby's all have the Ford wheel caps. Maybe the old wheel caps don't fit?

Long story short, I still want the wheel caps, but don’t want to deal with the hassle of the covers falling off or getting another set of the ‘official’ ones only to find out they still don’t fit.

Has anyone else found the ‘official’ wheel caps somewhere other than eBay? Does anyone have any experience with the ‘official’ wheel caps (not falling off)?

Cheers,
    I went through these issues with my 2017. Turned it in yesterday under Ford's RAV program due to undiagnosed problems with the car. It was a long and ugly fight. I now await my 2019. The first caps I bought had what looked like gray OEM backing they are 55mm. They snap in ok and sit flush in the wheel but will fall out very easily. The second set I tried was the 60mm with the silver tabs and ring on backing. These were such a tight fit, I was afraid they would break putting them in. They fit so well I never lost one BUT they don't sit flush. They stick out a bit. I prefer the flush look. Everyone's opinion is different. This time I am ordering 2 sets of the 55mm that look similar to OEM. The reason they won't stay is because on our cars, take a look at the back, there is an extra groove line (hard to explain until you see the difference) that piece keeps it in place on our GT350s. When I pull my wheels to paint the calipers, I'm going to consider options to maybe shim them from behind or use a removable putty in between so the wheel isn't damaged but holds the cap in place. The size choice also has the difference in if the cobra matches the badging on the car or if that makes a difference to you. Hope this helps when making your decisions. Fingers, eyes, toes and legs crossed that this 2019 is in working order. I had gives and takes with changes/upgrades/options between the year on the cars.
    2020 Shadow Black, Carbon Fiber Dash, Technology Pkg., Handling Pkg.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, I know this thread is a bit old .... before I post a new question ....

This is about track days and the need to remove the center caps ... my local track - Chuckwalla Valley Raceway requires us to pull the center caps I assume so they don't end up all over the track. My question is, how do you guys do this?? I don't want to keep popping them off and wear them down. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Peace out,
    Eric The MadMan
    North County, San Diego
    2018 XXX Yellow; stripe delete; black roof; convenience package

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors