Oil Change
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Oil Change

This is a discussion on Oil Change within the Mustang GT350 Maintenance forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; All, I've just ordered two of the FL-2062 Cartridge type Ford OEM oil filters (at $7.42/ea - just in case my dealer has no clue) ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Oil Change

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Oil Change

All, I've just ordered two of the FL-2062 Cartridge type Ford OEM oil filters (at $7.42/ea - just in case my dealer has no clue) for my first couple of oil changes. Question, is everyone going with the Ford 5w-50 full synthetic? How does Mobile 1 (or other oils) compare? I'll likely stick with the factory spec, but curious?

PS While I've read that everyone is changing oil after 1000 miles, I haven't been able to find where Ford recommends this? Of course (like most of you) I'd rather err on the conservative side but where did the 1000 mile change come from? FWIW, after 600 miles my oil still looks good and I'm not burning any either...thx!!
    Last edited by HotLap; 10-23-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    2017 GT350 / Lightning Blue / Electronics Pkg...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am staying with the Motorcraft for warranty issues. Don't want to leave any reason if issues occur
    17snake likes this.
    2016 Shelby GT350.
    Triple Yellow

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's in the owner's manual under the engine break-in. Says to avoid WOT for the first few hundred miles and then have the oil changed at 1000, after that you can drive at WOT for extended periods (track driving). I had mine done at the dealership for less than the price of the oil and filter from the parts counter. I assume there is a mark-up for the oil and filter if you buy it at the counter, unless the parts guy just quoted me wrong. Even if I was paying the same price for the parts as the dealer oil change, it was worth the hassle free experience as the filter change can be messy (per videos and reviews of the DIY oil changes).
    HotLap likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stick with the Motorcraft oil in light of some of the engine issues that have been surfacing. Keep all receipts for everything and log all maintenance activity.
    I do all my own oil changes. It gives you a good opportunity to inspect everything while car is in the air. Keep an eye on how much you've scrubbed the front splitter.
    HotLap, 17snake and balatgek1 like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Svt do you just log it in your manual ?
    2016 Shelby GT350.
    Triple Yellow

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone, that's my plan and good to know what you guys are doing. I too like to change my own oil, and save receipts, etc. Have 600+ miles on it now and just back from a short run, had it up to 6500rpms (for a short while) and man does this engine spool up quickly over 4K - 4.5K!! Going to be fun!!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtride View Post
    Stick with the Motorcraft oil in light of some of the engine issues that have been surfacing. Keep all receipts for everything and log all maintenance activity.
    I do all my own oil changes. It gives you a good opportunity to inspect everything while car is in the air. Keep an eye on how much you've scrubbed the front splitter.
    LOL, on the scrubbing the front splitter, impossible not to, need to get off my lazy rear end and install the ZL1 washers!! I've been pretty good with mine so far but have nicked it a few times!! Need to get ramps as the front end is too low to get under with tools to install washers...wish I had access to a lift, that would be sweet!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
    LOL, on the scrubbing the front splitter, impossible not to, need to get off my lazy rear end and install the ZL1 washers!! I've been pretty good with mine so far but have nicked it a few times!! Need to get ramps as the front end is too low to get under with tools to install washers...wish I had access to a lift, that would be sweet!
    Hey HotLap, good luck finding any ramps. The closest I could find were RaceRamps but even those were about a half a degree too steep. I decided to get a low profile floor jack from JEGS. When it arrives tomorrow I'll try it out to see what works as far as jack stands. As an alternative I might just make some 4x4 solid platforms to put under the wheels. That might be easier.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobSoFine View Post
    Hey HotLap, good luck finding any ramps. The closest I could find were RaceRamps but even those were about a half a degree too steep. I decided to get a low profile floor jack from JEGS. When it arrives tomorrow I'll try it out to see what works as far as jack stands. As an alternative I might just make some 4x4 solid platforms to put under the wheels. That might be easier.
    Bob, The more I research ramps, the more I'm becoming convinced that I may just go ahead with the jacking rails and jack stands. Just using a floor jack on the uni-body rails (in the normal) jack area doesn't feel all that secure feels as if the unibody rails are going to tweak...prolly silly I know. But the jacking rails would help to distribute the weight better. Only downside with ramps is you can't remove a wheel and I'd like a single solution for both oil changes and wheel removal. Limited storage space in garage and already have a floor jack and jack stands...let me know how your solution works and good luck sir!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Voodu View Post
    Svt do you just log it in your manual ?
    I made a separate log sheet, Excel file; Date, Mileage, Service Activity description, and who performed the tasks. Keep it in the owners manual.
    I've used the format for years with many cars along with a file cabinet with folders for each car's supporting docs and receipts. All very beneficial when selling the car privately.
    HotLap likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors