K & N air filters
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

K & N air filters

This is a discussion on K & N air filters within the Mustang GT350 Performance forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Garage category; I cannot find a thread discussing the best performance air filter for the GT350. Anyone using K & N replacement for our Ford filter?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: K & N air filters

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

K & N air filters

I cannot find a thread discussing the best performance air filter for the GT350. Anyone using K & N replacement for our Ford filter?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tons of data out there on filters. Some filters may flow better than stock, but at the risk of reduced filtration. And the stock filter is not your choke point. It's flowing plenty good to feed 526hp. If you just have to have an aftermarket filter (I did too), then go dry. Airaid and Amsoil among the best and the only thing I'd consider. Ford Performance is a relabeled Airaid for those of you that enjoy paying more for the name. You couldn't pay me to run K&N based on filtration data out there.
    extrachrispy and 03reptile like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I ran K & N filters on both of my race Vipers for 10 years. Every serious Viper racer used K & N for the horsepower boost. Believe it or not, we got 10 extra RWHP as tested on a chassis dyno. Never knew that there were filtration issues with K & N. Dodge eventually went to K & N filters on the Viper ACR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Tons of data out there on filters. Some filters may flow better than stock, but at the risk of reduced filtration. And the stock filter is not your choke point. It's flowing plenty good to feed 526hp. If you just have to have an aftermarket filter (I did too), then go dry. Airaid and Amsoil among the best and the only thing I'd consider. Ford Performance is a relabeled Airaid for those of you that enjoy paying more for the name. You couldn't pay me to run K&N based on filtration data out there.
    What is the choke point then?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rough topic air filters. Aftermarket looks cool, but chasing 10 horse on a 525, or 600 on a viper.... you’ll never, ever be able to tell.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosuave1 View Post

What is the choke point then?
    Catalytic converters. Point being, a stock paper filter will feed way over what this thing can make (excluding 4 digit numbers obviously...then IDK). You’re not gaining anything by sacrificing filtration to gain what a K&N will flow; that’s the point. Heck, I’ve seen dyno reports from guys with full CAI’s on this car picking up 1-2 hp.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe the stock air filter and airbox on the GT350 is much more efficient than that on the old Vipers. It was a no-brainer to spend $100 for an extra 10 RWHP and any race competitor worth his salt would make that change. Even if you could not "feel it", it would show up in lap times. There were many companies that came out with high performance catback exhaust solutions. A company out of Phoenix called Belanger proved to have the best product for power gains along the entire curve. On a stock 1996-2002 Viper GTS having 400 RWHP, Belanger delivered 40-50 RWHP gains on its catless header system, half that on catback system. Has anyone seen before and after dynos on any brand of headers for the GT350?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fpGT350 View Post
    I cannot find a thread discussing the best performance air filter for the GT350. Anyone using K & N replacement for our Ford filter?

I would stay away from the K & N which is an oiled filter. The Ford Performance (Afraid) filter is servable, but dry. Blue in color. I agree, not a horsepower thing, but I live in a dusty area and like to service it regularly and it cleans easily. Very durable.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Since we're on the topic and it's relevant...Amsoil also has a dry filter that's blue. Looks great and is a direct fit. And no, it is not the same filter/material as the Airaid. I think most guys don't know about the Amsoil filter because it doesn't show up if you do a vehicle application search since it's one of their universal fit conical filters. The Airaid/Ford Performance filter is also nothing cosmic. It also is one of their generic, universal fit conical filters that they labeled appropriately to show up if you do a vehicle search. Not bagging on the Airaid, just promoting the Amsoil.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Catalytic converters. Point being, a stock paper filter will feed way over what this thing can make (excluding 4 digit numbers obviously...then IDK). You’re not gaining anything by sacrificing filtration to gain what a K&N will flow; that’s the point. Heck, I’ve seen dyno reports from guys with full CAI’s on this car picking up 1-2 hp.
    Are Cat-Deletes a viable legal option for SC registered cars? Pleaaase? lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors