Trickle Charger
Close
Login to Your Account
Mustang GT350 Forum

Trickle Charger

This is a discussion on Trickle Charger within the Off Topic forums, part of the Mustang GT350 Forum category; Hi all, I'm buying the Deltran Battery Plus charger. I've noticed the voltage before starting the car is around 11.0 to 11.6 and rarely have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trickle Charger

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trickle Charger

Hi all,

I'm buying the Deltran Battery Plus charger. I've noticed the voltage before starting the car is around 11.0 to 11.6 and rarely have I seen it at 12.4. The alternator is fine as I can see it fluctuating at 13.6 to 14.1. I got the tech package so I can only imagine after not running the car for a week that it's a bit drained.

My question is do you guys leave the quick connect extension attached to the car? Do you have any issues with the hood crimping it when closed? Anyone routed it differently so you can leave it plugged it outside or in the garage without having to open the hood to charge?

Thanks
    Last edited by NoXiDe; 08-27-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Don't know about that brand. But my Battery Tender is connected directly to the battery posts. And runs out under the battery cover and has a quick connect I can unplug when not in use. And the cord from charger is fed easily up through the edge of the right headlight.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GT350.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoXiDe View Post
    Hi all,

I'm buying the Deltran Battery Plus charger. I've noticed the voltage before starting the car is around 11.0 to 11.6 and rarely have I seen it at 12.4. The alternator is fine as I can see it fluctuating at 13.6 to 14.1. I got the tech package so I can only imagine after not running the car for a week that it's a bit drained.

My question is do you guys leave the quick connect extension attached to the car? Do you have any issues with the hood crimping it when closed? Anyone routed it differently so you can leave it plugged it outside or in the garage without having to open the hood to charge?

Thanks
    I don’t use a tender and my car is not driven daily. It has even set for up to 3 weeks and still started. Static voltage is 12.1v to 12.6v. If your battery is sub 12v, I would push back on the dealer for a new one. When I purchased my car it was a Showroom Trophy (with a 30K ADM). At 3 months (showroom) old I demanded the replacement of the battery (no jump and charge). I knew that showroom battery was toast.
    From what I’ve read, the Tender you bought is a good one. Good luck.
    2017 GT350 - Magnetic Grey - **JTVUDOO**

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
    Don't know about that brand. But my Battery Tender is connected directly to the battery posts. And runs out under the battery cover and has a quick connect I can unplug when not in use. And the cord from charger is fed easily up through the edge of the right headlight.
    X2. This is exactly what I do. I have a long extension to use, but I'm still snooping around for a cool spot to route it so that I don't have to open the hood to plug it up. 1st world problems. Leaving the lead permanently attached to the battery full time will not hurt a thing. I do it to every car/bike I've ever owned.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know another user tucks the cable on the side of the headlamp. I was hoping someone had found a good way to run the wire to allow it to charge with the hood still closed.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The factory battery is a puny 390 CCA and the replacement battery is 470 CCA which isn't much better on the 2017 any way. In winter car is in carport and I only drive it when streets are clear. I keep a Battery Tender on it then and no matter how long it sits it starts right up. Without the tender after about a week in winter when I start it will get a screen message on my Sync 3 saying some zones shut down because battery has low voltage.
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoXiDe View Post
    I know another user tucks the cable on the side of the headlamp. I was hoping someone had found a good way to run the wire to allow it to charge with the hood still closed.
    Oh, you can close the hood on the cable. Tuck in under the corner of the headlight there around/under the front fascia and close the hood all the way.

All things considered, mine starts pretty darn strong and fast regardless of what numbers are printed on the battery.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I suppose you could route something out thru the passenger side wheel well but you would need to be sure the cap was watertight. If I’m not going to drive for a few days I drop a weighted line down between the inner fender and the suspension on the pass side and pull an extension cord up that way. It kind of a pain but that lets me shut the hood all the way. Otherwise I just run the extension cord out near the headlight and gently lay the hood down.
    extrachrispy likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like it! Great talks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors